Monday 5 October 2009

First steps

Despite many photographs and locals, sketches of buildings and points of interest and a varied assortment of paintings, there is still much to encompass to capture the fullness of a vibrant and growing town, particularly if I am going to gain an absolute cross section of life.

For starters there is the Civic society whose role takes in both the historic and contemporary aspects of town planning, listed buildings and the erection of the many 'green plaques' that adorn the walls of many of the towns buildings, plaques that list the general history, characters and original usage, many of which were the founding places of trades that no longer exist, the wool, cooperage, livestock, dignitaries and historical persons of some renown such as Sir Alfred Wainright et al.

There are also a multitude of groups, clubs, sporting and charitable organisations, many of which are probably unknown to the many such as the Philosophical and literary meetings of which I was not even aware until a recent bout of research uncovered them, as I visit each location I will, where applicable provide both internet links and names of those involved in the general running and membership for your information.

Where books that will help in the research are concerned I am already getting directions from interested persons, books I am sure that will, not only unravel many of the towns mysteries and folklore but also help and inspire me in my work.

The fan page on face book is beginning to grow now and, following my forthcoming trip to sussex, be launched.

No comments:

Post a Comment