Thursday 19 May 2011

period ending 20 May 2011

All goes well with the castle instalation, not too much happening at the moment though that really is semi-intentional, it was imagined from the start that it would be a huge undertaking with much more to do than one would at first think.

The local gazette continues to add support with our next update due in next weeks paper, yesterday the project had a plug on Lakeland radio which was a bit of an unexpected event having not been contacted by the station, imagine my surprise to hear of the broadcast from someone in a supermarket, also in the news the report of my former units return from Afghanistan and their humanitarian achievements while there, well done 2 PARA and welcome home.

My collection of fotografs of the castle from various locations around the town is slowly growing as every now and then I find a viewpoint that I was not aware of, this town continues to bring me surprises, not only in relation to the castle but as a town, always there is another little alley way (ginnel) that I've not found before, another picture postcard view, previously unseen in any special way but then along comes another bit of light illuminating the view.

This is a picture of the yard that housed a school and eight almshouses  built in the early 1600's, nothing to do with the castle simply a nice pic in the May sunshine.

The facebook site is the most active part of the process so far, now with over 600 friends even there I find pleasant surprises such as people commenting on fotografs at 3 in the morning, (thanks cherry for your dedicated support) it does make me wonder how history would have fared had the internet and social platforms been around for those who campaigned and worked for many of the charities and organisations that now rely heavily on facebook, twitter and blogs, we might live in a very different world now, only time will show if the presence of such powerful tools will affect our futures hence; the castle has also launched its Twitter feed today, http//twitter.com/poppybid it is a new platform for me and I am not entirely sure how to use it but, it is still early days.

The survey of the castle necessary to calculate the number of poppies and nets continues, not as quick as I would like however this is down mostly to my inability to climb the hill as often as I would like, even then, having conquered the climb the amount of work I am able to do is limited, this is now remedied as another local artist, Tim Leeson, has volunteered to help me out in my struggling attempts to scale the walls and rough ground, tape measure in one hand, sketch book in the other.

I am off today to meet with the Lib Dems Party Chairman, Tim Farron, it is not castle affairs that take me there but a charitable appeal to help save the funding for Stonham, a local housing project that serves homeless and vulnerable persons, hopefully there will be opportunity for me to pass on one of the castle cards to him in a bid to illicit his support for the project in the future, the Stonham Charity however must take priority, fingers crossed for both.

The CD carrying the new Poppy Song commissioned to raise funds for the Castle Poppy Bid, by Country and Western singer/songwriter Rita Bridgeman, is now weeks away from being completed, I have not heard it as yet and am really looking forward to it's release.

Till next post, best wishes
andrew 

No comments:

Post a Comment